The award of Colours is the highest recognition within the following codes at Southwell: rugby, football, hockey, netball, cricket, softball, tennis, swimming, chess, athletics, cross-country, touch rugby, gymnastics, water polo, cycling, basketball, Kids’ Lit Quiz and other codes that may be suggested by the School from time to time. It is important that all staff use the same criteria when selecting students for this award. For this purpose the following set of criteria and conditions should be used:
Students in Years 5 to 8 are eligible for Colours and the proposed recipients should be able to fulfill the following criteria –
- Have a highly developed level of skills within the code and use them effectively.
- To have performed at the highest level on a majority of occasions whilst at School.
- Display a consistently high level of sportsmanship.
- Have established a degree of service to his/her code which would be evident in his/her attendance at practices and games/performances; and his/her willingness to assist administrators and coaches in the school and his/her helpfulness to fellow students.
- Honours external to school competition may be taken into account. Representative status is not a sole deciding factor for Colours. (Note: not all codes have reps).
Conditions of the Award:
- A proportion of up to 30% of the team/group to be eligible for the award. In an exceptional year this may be exceeded with the express permission of the Headmaster.
- The recommendation as to which players/performers will receive Colours shall be in the hands of the 1st and 2nd team coaches, the code coordinator, the sports coordinator, or opera director. The final decision on Colours will be made by the Colours Committee.
- The award will be made at a full school assembly at the end of the playing/performance season. With respect to the summer season the award of Colours may be made at the end of the 1st term to an exceptional player who has been a member of the team for one or two terms in his/her Year 7 year.
- Two points will be credited to the recipient’s tally of sport/cultural achiever’s tie points.
- A student may receive Colours in consecutive years in the same code. (Note: a badge is presented on the first award only).